It’s amazing how innovative people are. Give them a household or personal-care task that needs solving, make sure that a ready-made solution isn’t available, and see what happens. Toothpaste has a variety of uses when approached with an innovative eye:
Since everyone has toothpaste in their home and everyone knows it’s good for cleaning teeth, it’s not surprising that it has been tried as a cleaner of multiple other things. Try using toothpaste to clean:
- Scuff marks on the rubber parts of running shoes and on leather shoes.
- The gunk that forms on the plate of your steam iron. Of course, only clean when the iron is cold.
- Piano keys: Turn your piano keys from yellow to white again. This works especially well for ivory keys, which can be harmed by most other cleaners.
- Crayon marks and other kid-created household stains. Toothpaste is great for walls, sinks, countertops, carpets, and even clothes.
Not only can toothpaste clean things, but it polishes them to a high shine as well.
- Jewelry, silverware, and chrome shine up like new with the application of a little toothpaste and elbow grease.
- The polishing properties of toothpaste can also remove scratches from glass, CDs, and DVDs.
Other Uses Around the House
- Hang posters on your wall by dabbing a bit of toothpaste in the corners. It’s easy to remove and leaves no marks.
- Defog goggles, swim masks, and even mirrors by rubbing with toothpaste and wiping off. When you shower, defog the mirror before you start, and it’ll be clear when you’re done.
For Your Body
- Soothe burns and stings, stop itchy insect bites, and relieve irritated skin.
- Wash your hands with a dab of toothpaste to remove the smell of onion, garlic, and other unpleasant odors.
- Make your fingernails and toenails white again. Toothpaste can clean up that yellow tinge they get if you wear nail polish regularly.
- Hair-dye stains on your hairline can be removed with a dab of toothpaste.
Clearly, it makes sense to always have toothpaste in the house, and not just for teeth cleaning and dental hygiene. The ingredients in toothpaste that make it so good at cleaning and polishing your teeth can also work wonders on other things around your home.